Thursday, April 4, 2013

Found a box of sharp objects, what a beautiful day

I am currently reading this book.

A friend's mum recommended it to me several years ago, and my Dads partner bought it for me for Christmas one year (I had asked for it, it wasn't intended as an insult - though I think his ex would've bought it for me too but out of spite.....)

Anyway!

It is a good read so far (and quite humorous which I like), although nothing new yet. Having been through a few counsellors means that I've done this stuff already. Hopefully it still has something to offer in terms of my very damaged psyche.

I was reading it this morning on the bus, and it managed to make me mad. There was a comment about how even if you switch to healthy eating, you will still need to reduce your intake, rather than just eating as much healthy food as you like. Grrr.

Why so angry? Well, while I admit this advice probably does help for a lot of people, I'm not one of them. Even if I do binge eat, it's normally the type of food rather than huge quantities of it. I currently am not eating enough food (although the small amounts I do eat are high in calories, but it still comes in short of my daily recommended total). When I was at Uni doing my VN Diploma, I went through a few months where I would eat 1 or 2 muesli bars a day, and water, and maybe a barley sugar or two (so that I didn't faint in the clinic), and that was about it. Sometimes, a sandwich. On top of this I was doing a lot of practical time in the clinics, on my feet for 6 hours at a time, and going to the gym a few times a week. I was also having down-there issues with unexpected bleeding and whatnot, so I went to the doctor. Who proceeded to tell me the only problem I had was that I was obese and that I needed to eat less, and move more. And that was it. I know now that the restricted eating meant my body was in starvation mode and rather than losing weight, it was clinging on to what I did have for dear life. But if I had followed her advice I would've stopped eating mostly altogether while still gymming it, and I would have been in for a big crash
(And when I went for my next smear it turned out that my cervix was very unhappy and ended in a biopsy or two and a lot of pain - which may not have been avoided if she had done her job properly, but I would've been able to get it sorted and be in less pain sooner than I did - bitch. This is also why I do not trust a lot of doctors).

Just needed to get that rant out.

4 comments:

  1. The problem with getting your weight-loss advice from books rather than going to a nutritionalist is that it is generic advice, so some of it wont apply to you, because it has to hit the basics for everyone. I'm sorry that it made you mad because that advice doesn't apply to you, but lets face it, it applies to a lot of other people... like me for example. The other and probably greater problem with it is that a book wont hold you accountable so it doesn't help at all with the motivation and discipline - which to be honest are the bigger problems really aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I know. And it didn't really make me mad at her, as it just made me mad at that doctor all over again.
      I know a book isn't the best option, but considering I can't afford help from a real person, it's better than nothing (hopefully).

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that doctor was an asshole. You could have sued... if we were in America at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try to complain but she had left by the time I knew what was wrong with me.

      Delete