Monday, April 22, 2013

There's no need to apologise, I've got no time for feeling sorry

For all my talk about finding the gym easier than eating right, I haven't been in a week. It should be fairly easy to get back into though, so I'm not too worried.

Although, I had a lazy indoors weekend, and spent far too much of it sitting down, for now my right hip is very sore. It did not enjoy being inactive after all...

In terms of food, I am slowly getting there. Last week, for 3 days out of 4 (I had 1 day off work due to feeling rather icky), I made and took my lunch. A couple of days of thai green chicken curry with cauliflower rice (delicious, and filling, though I did make wayyy too much "rice"), and then one day of rice-less sushi. Yummo. Carrying on again this week - today (and tomorrow) I had kumara, zucchini and lamb salad. So good. Lamb is so tasty. Breakfasts are not great, but I am getting food in the morning so that's a start. Dinners are improving - though I definitely do need to increase my veggie intake at these meals because it is lacking somewhat at the moment.

People around me are currently meeting their goals. My initial thought is one of a bit of jealousy. But then I realise that they've earned it, and I have not put in the work. And then I get disappointed and frustrated. My next step is to realise I can do this too. It is inspiring. And nice to have real people do it, that I actually know, rather than just people online (e.g. NF - although their stories are amazing inspirating too), because I can relate more to them.

Although you do get those people, that once they reach goals or lose weight and get healthier, think they have the right to tell you everything you're doing wrong, and seem to think they are better than you. I hope I never become one of those people. And if I do, I give you permission to call me out on it, or slap me in the face - whichever works better for you.

I'm also re-realising my need for fun. I used to be fun. I used to want to actually do stuff. It doesn't help that I'm living in a city where I don't know many people, but I need to make more of an effort to put myself out there. I've joined a few groups on Meetup, but to be honest, cost is the main thing that stops me from actually going to events. I have a pretty tight budget at the moment, and I would rather save my spare money for the 'Canadian Cause' (future travels), than spend it on brunch or lunch or movies....

I also need to set aside time, preferably every day to actually learn to play the guitar (I got one for Christmas and I think I have got it out to try to play twice...). I want to become a more interesting person. I want to be someone who plays an instrument, and who has adventures.


5 comments:

  1. Lazy weekends are totally evil on the hips! Luckily it seems to go away fairly quickly, I'm feeling better today. Is your hip getting better after getting away from work?

    Ooh, your salad sounds so good. :-) Lamb is my favourite red meat, and as a bonus it makes me want to floss my teeth. :-P What did you dress it with, if anything? Ineed ideas - I keep trying to branch out but I just really love mayo... Maybe I should flavour it with herbs or something for variety...

    You can definitely do it - you know exactly how UNspecial I am! ;-)

    I hope I'm not one of those people - at least I know I'm not better than anyone? I do tend to have to be right though, which is a failing of everyone in my family. It's soooo annoying when they do it, so I'm working on it in myself!

    There's a booklet you can get about fun stuff to do in Wellington for under $5, I bet there's a PDF? The one I had a while back had a section of free stuff you can do. I might have got it from winz?

    I'm going to get a ukulele, we can totally jam. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm the fact that I was sitting all day at work, and then visited my friend and sat cuddling her baby probably didnt help. Will make more of an effort to walk around the office tomorrow

    I actually used QP Mayo - I had nothing else and it was a tiny amount. I think a garlic mayo would be yummy. Or a minty/mayo mix.

    Nah you're not that annoying :)

    I shall have a lookout for the booklet

    Yay for jamming. My hands might be too small for my guitar - but I shall overcome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'awwwww, baby cuddling FTW :-)

      QP isn't very bad at all in the scheme if things, and it's tricking delicious! I've noticed I don't tend to make okonomiyaki if I dont have QP... Boo.

      Phew!

      I'll keep an eye out for an up-to-date copy, too. Know Wellington has a few things, emphasis on few.

      My mum had the same problem, she had to get a smaller guitar. She also has a ukulele guitar which I like playing with, it's bright blue. :-)

      Delete
  3. Baby cuddling possibly not FTW. He's incredibly adorable, and it made me want one....

    I think I bought QP for making okonomiyaki. And it costs so much that I cant bear to just throw it out... haha

    Anytime I do think that you are coming across as a bit judge-y or preach-y-ish, I realise it's more to do with my perception of it rather than you actually being that way. So it's cool :)

    Yeah I did notice that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made sure to use up my QP before I started making mayo again! I can't throw it away, and I don't trust myself to have it in the fridge and not eat it.

      Well, I'm only human - I am judgy and preachy, just as much as anyone else. And for a few years the people I was closest to were even worse than me, which made me get worse. Now I'm probably just about average. ;) Good perspective you've got, though! :)

      Delete